Ascend Learning is a national leader in data driven, online educational solutions for learners, educators and employers in high-growth, licensure-driven professions spanning healthcare, fitness and wellness, skilled trades, insurance and financial services. We are passionate about accelerating learning while impacting job readiness, employment success and employee retention with the belief that our work changes lives.
Our culture is intentionally results-driven and selfless with a relentless focus on our customers. We believe in trust, transparency, freedom and responsibility with a commitment to meritocracy, inclusion and diversity of thought. Continual investment in our over 1400 employees is also a core principle realized through ongoing professional development and providing opportunities to grow, develop and lead. Ascend Learning is headquartered in Burlington, MA with additional office locations and remote workers in cities across the U.S. and in the U.K.
We are hiring now for a Java Engineer to join our talented Data Analytics development team. You will work on cutting edge applications using the latest versions of Java in a Kubernetes environment. These are high impact projects for the entire organization. This position can work from our Leawood, KS office location/hybrid, Burlington, MA office location/hybrid or Gilbert, AZ office location/hybrid.
- Designs, develops, and tests software components of an application using Java software tools and languages, and adheres to design reviews, code reviews, and appropriate industry standard development methodologies.
- Develops Java code in a test-driven development manner
- Drives the resolution of complex technical problems
- Debugs issues quickly and suggests the solutions
- Actively work with other developers and testers
- Uses data and other information to influence Stakeholders to the appropriate decision
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering is required.
- Knowledge of machine learning/distributed systems is preferred.
- 1+ years of Java programming language experience required
- 1+ years of experience in Spring, Spring Boot, Maven, GIT, Junit, Angular, etc.
- 1+ years of experience in RESTful web services
- Good understanding of design patterns (Creational, Structural and Behavioral)
- Solid fundamentals in OOO, problem solving, data structures, algorithms
- SQL Skills including writing complex queries, query optimization and error handling.
- Knowledge of CI tools like Gitlab, Jenkins, Bamboo or other build tools with JMX
- Knowledge of DevOps tools like Dockers and Kubernetes
- Knowledge of agile software development lifecycles/methodologies
- Knowledge of ORM/JPA/JTA frameworks like Hibernate, Ibatis, MyBatis, Spring Repo is preferred
- Knowledge with Microsoft Technologies like Azure, PowerBI and Microsoft Sql Server is preferred
- Knowledge of Kafka and related technologies is preferred
- Knowledge of ETL and streaming data-pipeline is preferred
Skills and Abilities
- Commitment to best software engineering practices (unit testing, code reviews etc.) and agile process.
- Desire to bring disclosure and transparency to both business and IT and grow trust among partners.
- Ability to facilitate discussion at the team level and facilitate alternatives or different approaches.
- Be a team player who provides unbiased transparency on progress.
- Ability to function effectively during ambiguous tasks.
- Ability to own tasks outside of immediate scope of responsibility.
- Analytical thinker and problem solver.
- Detail oriented with a strong focus on quality.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Ability to work in an on/offshore model which includes supporting different time zones.